Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch files. Our company’s mission is to dramatically improve the productivity, transparency and impact of design. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Cisco, Intuit, Spotify, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
At Abstract we develop desktop and web applications that help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design artifacts. We are looking for an engineer to help us build UI and features for our desktop and web applications.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with designers on new React components for our growing shared component library.
- The ability to make things happen even when requirements are a little fuzzy.
- Triage and fix bugs, often working directly with our customers.
- Participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we're moving fast while also maintaining quality code bases.
- Participate in design reviews and give feedback.
- Contribute to server-side APIs — through code, peer review, or both — that are needed to ship features.
- Participate in our agile methodology (Daily Standups, Sprint Planning, Demos, Retrospectives).
What you’ll bring:
- Experience building applications using Ruby and React.
- An analytical mindset. You think critically about your work, ask questions, approach problems from different angles, and are excited to improve the product.
- A customer-centric lens. You look forward to working with them so we can identify pain points and create solutions.
- Enthusiasm to problem solve. When things inevitably break, you eagerly jump in to diagnose and fix the core issues.
- Experience with server-side languages, especially Ruby.
- Clear communication skills. You can clearly discuss and explain complex technical topics.
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, including dental, vision, and life insurance. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care and health care FSA as well as commuter benefits for SF office employees.
To help employees plan for the future, we're able to offer competitive pay and a 401k.
We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment for most roles. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Elastic Projects will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check.