Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch files. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Cisco, Intuit, Spotify, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
At Abstract we develop desktop and web applications that help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design artifacts. We are looking for a Mid-Senior Software Engineer to join our Onboarding & Growth squad. Onboarding & Growth engineers enjoy a wide range of projects that improve trial conversions, new user experience, and the long term scalability of our product.
We're more interested in your ability to learn and solve problems, so while previous Ruby on Rails experience is preferred, expertise in similar languages (Go, Java, PHP, Elixir, Erlang, Python, Perl) would also suffice.
What you’ll do:
- Discuss, plan, and build new features and web APIs.
- Implement the best engineering practices to write well-constructed and easily maintainable code.
- Write defensive and robust tests.
- Diagnose performance issues and improve processing time for key operations.
- Partner with Support and QA to triage and fix bugs, sometimes working directly with customers.
- Participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we're moving fast while also maintaining quality code bases.
- Document service architecture and features to share knowledge with the rest of the engineering team.
- Work closely with the Infrastructure team to ensure any security concerns are addressed quickly and thoroughly.
- Own small-to-large projects of increasing complexity and scope, including code shared across services or areas.
- Work within a cross functional squad that collaborates with other disciplines like Design and Product to decide how APIs and integrated libraries should work.
- Participate in our agile methodology (Daily Standups, Sprint Planning, Demos, Retrospectives).
What you’ll bring:
- Prior experience (at least 3 years) building web applications, preferably in Ruby on Rails.
- A product mindset and the ability to ask questions in order to improve the product, not only in its technical implementation but also in how well it’s serving the needs of our customers.
- The ability to make things happen even when requirements are a little fuzzy.
- The ability to clearly discuss and explain complex technical topics.
- Commitment to improvement and an understanding of technical trade-offs.
- When things inevitably break, you eagerly jump in to diagnose and fix the core issues.
- Comfortable working on small teams.
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, including dental, vision, and life insurance. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care and health care FSA as well as commuter benefits for SF office employees.
To help employees plan for the future, we're able to offer competitive pay and a 401k.
We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment for most roles. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Elastic Projects will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check.