Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch files. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Shopify, Cisco, Intuit, Spotify, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
Abstract is looking for Front-end Engineers to help us build UI and features for our desktop and web applications. At Abstract, we develop applications to help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design artifacts and workflows.
We're more interested in your ability to learn and solve problems than your specific programming language or framework experience.
In a typical week as a Front-end Engineer, you will:
- Discuss, plan, and build new features using ES6, React, and Redux
- Collaborate with designers on new React components for our growing shared component library
- Triage and fix bugs, often working directly with our customers
- Participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we're moving fast while also maintaining quality code bases
- Participate in design reviews and give feedback on the designs you're working with
- Contribute to server-side APIs — through code, peer review, or both — that are needed to ship features
Practical skills you'll need for success:
- Curiosity and willingness to build products and UI using modern web technologies
- When things inevitably break, you eagerly jump in to diagnose and fix the core issues
- Will be mindful, kind, transparent and communicative member of your team
- Raise your hand to ask for help if you feel like you are stuck
- Comfortable collaborating closely with product managers and designers, providing estimates or product ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- Willing or able to receive and deliver feedback that is direct and kind
- Familiarity with version control tools (i.e, git, subversion, etc.)
Bonus points if you have:
- Worked in small teams and are comfortable wearing multiple hats every single day
- Participated in meetups, have a portfolio of your work, have contributed to open source
- Communicates project status clearly and effectively using remote communication tools (we love Slack!)
- Professional experience